Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Data Visualization - Word Clouds

My final project is a Unit Plan on the American Revolution.  I wanted to create a data visualization (dv) that would be content area related and easy for my students to understand and use.  I will be including a Word Cloud assignment in my Unit Plan for students to complete, but thought I could create some examples that would provide content information and serve as a guide for their assignment.  I selected the Declaration of Independence and then decided to add the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights as well.  These three documents are known collectively as the Charters of Freedom.  I obtained the text for each from the transcripts available on the National Archives’ Charters of Freedom.


I used Tagxedo to create separate word clouds for each Charter of Freedom and a fourth cloud including text from all of the documents.  I hope that they will serve as a quick, easy to read reference for students to discover important and common themes for the Founding Fathers as they created these documents.

Declaration of Independence Word Cloud

The United States Constitution Word Cloud

The Bill of Rights Word Cloud

The Charters of Freedom Word Cloud

1 comment:

  1. Very useful article. We also use VDR, as Ideals for our documentation flow. it really saves us money and time. We a re going to start deals implementation there.

    ReplyDelete