Monday, April 27, 2015

Unit Twelve: Digital Online Archives

This week we looked at a number of online archival projects including an Omega-Based Northern Virginia Digital History Archive.  I posted 5 exterior photos of the local elementary school, Waynewood Elementary School in Fairfax County Public Schools.  I chose the school for a number of reasons (the fact that it is down the street and I'm there daily was certainly a factor) but also because the school will be undergoing extensive renovations, I believe with a starting timeframe of 2015-2016.  I thought it would be interesting to see how the school looked and compare it to the remodeled site.
The process of using the Northern Virginia Digital History Archive was relatively easy.  There is a delay from the time contributions are made until the time the images are posted, understandably, but I would have appreciated the opportunity to review my collection of photos together (to check for consistency  etc.) before posting.  Also, I was only able to add individual photos and not the photos together.  I uploaded them in order of my walk around the building and had planned on adding commentary including some of the proposed changes.  I would have also liked a template or sample entry on the contribution page to ensure I was entering information in a for consistent with the existing items on the site.  SO far it was a simple process.  I'll post an update after/if my photos are accepted and uploaded to the site.

One of my favorite digital archive sites is Forgotten New York, a program of the Greater Astoria Historical Society.  I've never really thought about it objectively - it's strengths and weaknesses, ease of use, etc.  I just loved looking at the photos they have collected over time and had no need to use them.  The site is sometimes slow and isn't always easy to navigate, but the have photos from all over NYC and the Boroughs.  My favorite articles are when they photos old photos next to photos of the same view today.  I've discovered that when looking at current photos (or being there in real-life) I don't always notice the architecture of the buildings, but once I see the current view compared with the older view, those details that make the old building so special really stand out.  Photos are not always available free for public use, as some are sold to help support the costs of the program.  They offer images, books and other items for sale as well as the opportunity to book speakers for your group or organization and tours of selected "forgotten" sites.
 
My final project is coming along, slower than I would like, but getting there.  The biggest challenge is creating my "digital visualization" project (optional - but I chose it thinking I could work it into my final project).  I am finding it difficult to find reliable information about the American Revolution that could work for a digital visualization and that would be in line with the 6th grade curriculum.  Other than that I have a number of pages that are "works in progress".  My time-line is coming along - looking for photos is my current task on that project - and I my lecture script is coming together, I just need to sit down and record it.  It will be a busy 12 days!

1 comment:

  1. The idea of comparing old photos with new photos of the same buildings/location is something that I have been hoping to do with my postcard collection from my hometown in Pennsylvania, but like all digital projects, it involves a lot more time. I've got to get to PA and take pictures; then make sure the pictures are all ok in photoshop; then upload them one by one; then correlate them with the postcards; then write up a short description. It's just like a home repair project; it looks simple, but once you get started you find out that there is a lot more involved.

    ReplyDelete